Update on Denali
I’ve got a more substantial update on Denali now! When Denali was admitted she was suffering from anemia and her glucose levels were very low. Dr. Calista ordered up a number of tests whose results are starting to trickle in now. The cause of the anemia is unknown as of yet, but they have been able to rule out parasites. This has led them to wonder about the state of her immune system. An FIV test has been ordered for her and results are expected back by Monday. Given her low glucose levels and her elevated thirst, there’s a bit of suspicion that Denali may be diabetic, but again, still waiting for the results of her tests to eliminate the possibilities.
When I brought Denali in on Thursday, it was because I noticed she was not moving at all if she could help it, meowed like she was in pain if you moved her, and was refusing to eat. Thursday and Friday, Dr. Calista and her staff were working hard to get her glucose and red blood cell levels back up. Her white blood cells were also very high. On top of this, Denali was refusing to eat and so she was being fed intravenously. On Friday they had gotten her stabilized and I was able to visit with her for a while.
It was such a relief to see her active and happy to see me! I may have visited too long though because after about thirty minutes or so she was tuckered out and practically asleep before she was taken back to her bed.
More good news came this morning! Denali is now eating on her own and provided that the arrival of the test results on Monday bare news of a quick treatment, well Denali may be able to come home Monday! Realistically, I know this might not happen and the question of what caused her glucose and red blood cells to drop so drastically, literally over night, is still unanswered. But I really want to believe that Denali will be home soon and the cause will be something benign, which is actually still a possibility I’ve been told.
Please keep Denali in your thoughts, purrs, and prayers.